[mplspm]: Dude, who sole my perl book?

Chris Siegler siegler at visi.com
Fri Dec 20 21:22:40 CST 2002

Dave Rolsky wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Nov 2002, Chris Siegler wrote:
>
> > One of my favorite authors! A good resource for SF/FAN books is
> >
> > http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Cavern/6113/top100.html
> >
> > where you'll probably find a few gems that you've never read (I'd never
> > heard of Alfred Bester, who is amazing).
>
> I remember this list from way back when I read newsgroups.  There's some
> odd rankings on here.  Ken Grimwood's Replay at #21?  I like the book, but
> it's not _that_ good!  George R. Martin at #1?  Never read him but I can't
> imagine that he's better than some of the authors a bit down the list.
> OTOH, Dan Simmons' Hyperion Cantos at #9 seems just about right, as I'd
> consider this one of the greatest, most well written (in the sense of
> wordcraft) and intelligent pieces of SF ever written.
>
> Gene Wolfe is on there, but a bit low.  Of course, I'd place him at #1,
> obviously.  Ursula Le Guin is _way_ too low with only one appearance at
> #71.  Same with Iain Banks at #59 (and #87).  The only PK Dick book on
> there is Ubik, at #80.  Odd.
>
> No Jack Vance, who certainly had a unique style.  And where's Jonathan
> Lethem?  No Elizabeth Hand?  Walter Jon Williams?  Octavia Butler?
> Jonathan Carroll?
>
> I could go on.  I would say that the list is a bit weighted towards
> "popular" books and fairly lacking in more "literary" authors, like some
> of the ones I just mentioned.

Thanks for the list Dave. I basically cut and pasted these for gift
ideas since I've only read a few of the authors. It sure beats browsing
shelves of books looking for ones that look interesting (or following an
infinite number of "Customers who bought this book also bought" links on
Amazon).

Merry Christmas!