Meeting: Tuesday 27th July

Tom Hukins tom at eborcom.com
Wed Jul 28 02:38:31 PDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 10:25:47AM +0100, Peter Edwards wrote:
> I think Subversion works better for a small team in one place than
> git. As soon as you have remote workers, though, or more branching
> then I think git makes more sense.

As one of my colleagues puts it, "Subversion has excellent branching
support, but it sucks at merging".  Of course, you usually want to
merge a branch back in at some point.

We've encountered various problems such as changing a file to a
symlink that have made us generally wary of Subversion.  Admittedly,
I've happily used it in other environments and encountered fewer
problems due to simpler working practices.

I deliberately mentioned distributed version controls generally rather
than git specifically, as we like monotonic revision numbers, which
git does not support.