Meeting: Tuesday 27th July

Peter Edwards peter at dragonstaff.co.uk
Wed Jul 28 02:25:47 PDT 2010

Hi, interesting post.
I think Subversion works better for a small team in one place than git. As
soon as you have remote workers, though, or more branching then I think git
makes more sense.
I helped the team here moved from CVS to Subversion over the last year.
Sometimes it's easy to forget how much better than CVS svn is!
The Beeb has relented a bit on Perl and is setting up a CI server for Perl
apps as part of its new "Platform" (was called Forge) and that includes
using cpanminus and local::lib to handle multiple versioned libraries. It
seems like a sensible and efficient way of managing things.
In our bit we use local::lib to bundle app-specific library distributions
and then with the same O/S versions we can rsync them around. It's also
handy for adding a particular version of an XML parser, say, for a specific
use case for a feed.

Cheers, Peter