Fwd: [ANNOUNCE] Donations to send-a-newbie for YAPC::EU::2010

Peter Edwards peter at dragonstaff.co.uk
Thu Apr 15 08:52:46 PDT 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mark Keating <m.keating at shadowcat.co.uk>
Date: 15 April 2010 16:05
Subject: [ANNOUNCE] Donations to send-a-newbie for YAPC::EU::2010
To: london.pm-announce at london.pm.org, northwestengland.pm at lists.scsys.co.uk

Last year many individuals and companies donated money to the send-a-newbie
initiative run by Edmund von der Burg. It was a great success. At the end of
last year Edmund approached the EPO with the task of organising a similar
event this year as he was unable to because of other commitments.

Therefore I come to you all to ask you to donate once again to this
excellent project, please make a donation at
send-a-newbie.enlightenedperl.org (or send your donation to
send-a-newbie at paypal.com (if you wish to make a donation in some other
manner then please contact Mark at m.keating(at)shadowcat.co.uk)). If you
made a donation last year, I thank you and would gratefully ask for you to
do so once more.[1]

If you are new to this idea allow me a few moments to describe it.

The send-a-newbie scheme will allow people to attend a Perl conference
(YAPC::EU for us, and this year YAPC::NA will have a scheme organised by the
Perl Foundation) if:

a. they have never attended a YAPC/Major Perl event previously;
b. they are financially unable to do so;
c. they work in/study/use Perl.

The only changes we have made to the terms of entry this year is to broaden
the scope. The Enlightened Perl Organisation members voted that we manage
this initiative on the sole condition that it was open to all people
regardless of age or circumstance (there were some minor restrictions in the
previous year that did not reflect our requirements).

This year we will be listing our sponsors on the website to express our
thanks[2] and because we believe in openess of information. A list of names
will appear that people can admire and give respect[3]. If you would like
to/do donate and don't want your name listed then please contact Mark or
Rosellyne and let them know and they will ensure that you are not listed.

Thanks for your consideration, and thanks-in-advance to those who are
considering donating.

Kind regards

Mark

p.s. If you know of any list, forum where this information might be posted
then I would kindly ask that you repeat it there.

[1] Please, please, pretty please on bended knees :)

[2] An almost exact opposite of name and shame.

[3] Also they can perhaps feel sickened that they were too jaded to support
such a great idea [hint, hint].

--
Mark Keating BA (Hons)          |  Writer, Photographer, Cat-Herder
Managing Director               |  Shadowcat Systems Limited