Borders Closing Down Sale

Tom Hukins tom at eborcom.com
Mon Nov 30 13:26:33 PST 2009

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 09:18:01PM +0000, Dave Cross wrote:
> On 30/11/09 21:05, Tom Hukins wrote:
> >Those of us in Britain's fastest growing city
>
> The fastest growing city that isn't actually a city :-)

Yes, it's a peculiar quirk of the way civil servants disagree with
town (and city!) planners.  Locally, saying "the city" helps avoid
confusion with Bletchley, Newport, Stony, Wolverton or other places
that have a town centre.

Personally, I continue to refer to Milton Keynes as a city because it
feels like one: particularly when compared with York and Aberdeen
where I lived beforehand.

I don't mind waiting patiently for London-based civil servants to
catch up with reality and advise the queen appropriately. :)