Testing CPAN modules

tony.x.edwardson at jpmorgan.com tony.x.edwardson at jpmorgan.com
Fri Sep 28 06:47:08 PDT 2007

Anyone knbow of a way to run the test suites which come with CPAN modules
without access to the internet, make or a c compiler ?
I am trying to get a recent version of perl (5.8.8) installed on
production machines which exist in a highly restricted environment.
I can instll the modules directly on production because I am not allowed
to have any development tools available.
So, I build perl with all the modules I want on a development box (400 in
all), tar the installation up and get the tarball into production and
untar it there.
The problem is that the procedures require me to run tests on all of the
modules I've introduced on the production box where make and gcc don't
exist.
Ideally, I'd like to use the test suites that come with each module but I
can't use "make test" without make.
There is "prove" , but not all of the module distributions have a "t"
subdirectory - they have a test.pl script instead.
I've played with the CPAN module but I can't find a way to use it without
access to make.

Any idea anyone ?

Cheers
Tony

and affiliates. This transmission may contain information that is
privileged, confidential, legally privileged, and/or exempt from
disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended
distribution, or use of the information contained herein (including
any reliance thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. Although this
transmission and any attachments are believed to be free of any
virus or other defect that might affect any computer system into
which it is received and opened, it is the responsibility of the
recipient to ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is
accepted by JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates,
as applicable, for any loss or damage arising in any way from its
use. If you received this transmission in error, please immediately
contact the sender and destroy the material in its entirety,
disclosures relating to UK legal entities.