Opinions: API wrapping, how close to original API should you stay?

Andy Wardley abw at wardley.org
Thu Oct 5 01:04:26 PDT 2006

Nik Clayton wrote:
> At the moment, I'm leaning towards the first.  It's simple and regular,
> but it does mean that the programmer has to translate in their head from
> the original API documentation.

It depends on your target audience.

If you're writing something that is an add-on/wrapper for this particular API
then you should probably stick as close to the original API as possible,
howEverBadlyBrokenItIs.

If you're writing something to integrate this API into another project then
you should provide a wrapper that is consistent with your existing naming
standards for the project.