Search CPAN with Google

Tom Hukins tom at
Mon Dec 18 05:58:32 PST 2006

This just showed up on the mailing list.  I remember us
discussing problems with searching CPAN at some point, probably in the
pub, so I thought I'd forward it:

----- Forwarded message from Andy Armstrong <andy at> -----

To: Module Authors <module-authors at>,
  " Perl M\[ou\]ngers" < at>
From: Andy Armstrong <andy at>
Subject: Search CPAN with Google
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 12:05:01 +0000

I've just been playing with a Google Co-op search of CPAN:

It certainly doesn't beat all the time - but for some
queries the fact that the Google search goes deeper pays off.

CPAN's big enough that the quality of the search interface is
critical - for most people it's the primary interface. I've certainly
had cases where the search has missed modules that I've subsequently
discovered indirectly - mentioned on a mailing list or in someone
else's code.

I imagine it might be politically sensitive to add a Google powered
search to - but I'd certainly have found it useful in
the past.

Andy Armstrong,

----- End forwarded message -----