[Milan-pm] PErl Test

marcos rebelo oleber at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 08:44:51 PDT 2009

2009/3/24 Hakim Cassimally <hakim.cassimally at gmail.com>:
> 2009/3/24 marcos rebelo <oleber at gmail.com>
>>
>> Hi all
>>
>> With some help of the Lisbon PM I have increased the Perl test on the
>> website.
>>
>> See it at:
>> http://milan.pm.org/perl_test.html
>>
>> Can we consider 75% a senior?
>
> Note that the first question is ambiguous, as it can either give (0..10) or
> 11, depending on the context.   But an understanding of context is surely
> more useful than an ability to solve multiple-choice trivia about list
> operators in the core language.
>
> And to judge a "senior", I'd be looking at design, OO, knowledge of CPAN,
> database, web, unicode, debugging, and many other skills.
>
> (It's a fun test certainly, I'm just a bit worried about what you or others
> might want to use it for ;-)
>
> osfameron

11 isn't one of the possible answer, so there is no problem with
context in here.

It was first designed to job interviews.

The idea at that moment was to have a set of tests to the candidats in
multiple areas. Most of the candidates say that are experts in a set
of technologies, and this test shall show that a person have good
knowledge of Perl. It was important not asking for question specific
to a certain set of CPAN packages, since a good software developer can
learn any package.

The interviews were done with 4 to 5 persons, for 3 to 4 hours, if the
person cost 35€/hour, we are speaking of ~500€. Like this the
candidates where having a fast interview with one person, and after if
the candidate was passing (25%) he was having the full team interview.

I have done some interviews of supposed experts and losing to much
time for nothing. After 15 minutes I was already giving up of them,
but I was there for 3 hours.

Note: It's a place where you are well paid but it's very hard to
enter. You need to be really good.

Marcos

--
Marcos Rebelo