[Memphis.pm] smc barricade routerand dynamic dns script

Brock Sides philarete at mindspring.com
Sat Oct 20 16:58:45 CDT 2001

* Alaric Ravenhall <alaricravenhall at hotmail.com> [011019 20:02]:

> I've run into an interesting problem I'm going to solve with Perl.
> I have a friend with an ethernet DSL modem and an SMC barricade router. He
> is running an apache webserver and has a dynamic DNS name - Hn.org.
> He wants to automatically update his DNS with his current IP every hour. No
> problem with Linux and cron, right? Well... he is behind the router and the
> hn.org Perl script grabs the ip address of his webserver, which is assigned
> via DHCP. So, heres's my plan:
> Write a Perl script that pulls the embedded web page from his router and
> regexes it for the external IP. Store that to a variable, and throw it up to
> HN.org in the required manner. Schedule it with cron, and BAM!(props to
> Emeril) issue solved!
> I will probably use LWP:user agent to pull the page from the router.
> Comments?
> Ravenhall

Sounds like the kind of problem Perl was made to solve. How about
posting your code to the list, so we can take a look at it, and either
(a) learn something, or (b) offer suggestions.

--
Brock Sides
philarete at mindspring.com

One OS to rule them all, one OS to find them,
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them,
In the land of Redmond, where the shadows lie.
with 'unsubscribe memphis-pm-list' in the body of the message.