[Memphis.pm] redirecting a localhost web server through cgi

Keith W. Sheffield sheff at pobox.com
Tue Jun 26 21:21:49 CDT 2001

> If I understand correctly, you have a web server on say port 8080 running
> at your house and you need to access it from work but the firewall at work
> will not allow you to connect to port 8080. Is that correct?

> You want to have on the machine at home another web server that will
> listen on port 80 and forward the request to port 8080 the send the reply
> back on the port 80 connection.  I can think of a couple of easier ways to
> do this. 1) Make the html directory for the server on port 80 be the same
> as the one on 8080.  2) Upgrade to a 2.4.x kennel and run TUX the kernel
> http deamon.  It will serve up static pages on its own and will forward
> other request to another port (8080).

Unless his ISP is blocking port 80, I don't see why he'd want to run the
server on a non standard port.  The only exception to that would be if he's
running a JSP server or something similar instead of or in addition to
httpd on port 80.  But if the ISP is blocking 80, then it's a moot point.

with 'unsubscribe memphis-pm-list' in the body of the message.