[Memphis.pm] redirecting a localhost web server through cgi

perl at erd3.com perl at erd3.com
Tue Jun 26 14:43:45 CDT 2001

On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, Alaric Ravenhall wrote:

> No I don't have a firewall in front of the web server.
> I cannot view my webserver from my work because my work's firewall filters
> out non-standard ports.
> I f I have cgi script that pulls pages from a server on the same machine as
> the CGI, then return it to the browser that requested the page from the CGI,
> I know that will work.
> Nathan

If I understand correctly, you have a web server on say port 8080 running
at your house and you need to access it from work but the firewall at work
will not allow you to connect to port 8080. Is that correct?

You want to have on the machine at home another web server that will
listen on port 80 and forward the request to port 8080 the send the reply
back on the port 80 connection.  I can think of a couple of easier ways to
do this. 1) Make the html directory for the server on port 80 be the same
as the one on 8080.  2) Upgrade to a 2.4.x kennel and run TUX the kernel
http deamon.  It will serve up static pages on its own and will forward
other request to another port (8080).

Reece Dike

with 'unsubscribe memphis-pm-list' in the body of the message.