[Melbourne-pm] When your variables can't keep their types..

Simon Taylor simon at unisolve.com.au
Sun Jun 5 17:55:19 PDT 2016

Hello Andrew,

On 6/06/2016 10:39 AM, Andrew Pam wrote:
> On 06/06/16 10:35, Simon Taylor wrote:
>> I didn't run your sample to see if it behaved the same way here, but
>> it is very counter-intuitive behavior.
>
> One word: caching.
>
> Once you stringify, why repeat the work?  It makes sense once you
> understand the design decision.

My 10c?

This kind of spooky action at a distance makes no sense.

     my $foo = "$port";

The casual user has the right to expect that the stringification going
on here will not affect $port

We're used to it, but it doesn't make it good or sensible in my view...
it just makes it something we're used to.

Cheers,

Simon