[Melbourne-pm] Next meeting - 24th Feb, 2016

Alfie John alfiej at fastmail.fm
Mon Jan 18 14:02:31 PST 2016

Hello Perl Mongers!

While Ricardo in is town, we've managed to convince him to give a talk.
If you would also like to present, want to let people know that you are
recruiting, or looking for work, please let the list know!

The next Melbourne Perl Mongers meeting will be on Wednesday the 24th of
February, 2016 and will start around 6:30pm:

  FastMail
  Level 1,
  91-97 William Street,
  Melbourne CBD

Ricardo Signes will be giving a talk titled "1.21 Gigawatts":

  Some talks carefully guide the listeners through the entirety of a
  topic, starting with the basics and ending with the fine details.
  Everybody in the audience leaves feeling like they've really learned
  something thoroughly. That's… not the plan for today.  Instead, we're
  just going to see the highlight reel of a bunch of topics that caught
  my interest over the course of the year: the best modules you're not
  using, stupid optimization tricks, tools for handling catastrophic
  program failure, git scripts you'll become dependent on, a review of
  cool (and uncool) changes in Perl, productivity tools, and who knows
  what else.  I will stand in place and let lightning talks strike over
  and over, until I am reduced to cinders.  You get to witness the
  ordeal, and you might just learn a thing or two.

Ricardo Signes studied philosophy and religion, only to learn that no
jobs existed for these degrees apart from "Computer Programmer (Perl)."
He has tried to make do, becoming a frequent contributor to the CPAN and
finally,  through some accident of fate, project manager ("pumpking")
for Perl 5  itself.  In his free time he writes code that then deletes
it as quickly as  possible, lest he have to maintain it.

Alfie

--
  Alfie John
  alfiej at fastmail.fm