[Melbourne-pm] Dancing around the event horizon

Toby Corkindale toby.corkindale at strategicdata.com.au
Thu Jun 4 18:01:27 PDT 2015

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Kahlil Hodgson" <kahlil.hodgson at dealmax.com.au>
> You can model the execution of the code with a process of
> recursively evaluating the inner most scopes and substituting the results.
> You get a sense that the code executes by continually collapsing in on
> itself, becoming progressively more simple. Its kinda Zen. That model works
> really well with the Virtual Machine that I'm continually running in my head
> while I cut code. I find it quite meditative and satisfying.

I really like that aspect of FP as well.
I find that if you're "doing it right" then you tend to end up with a lot of very small functions, and they are individually easy to verify as correct.

Whereas your typical OO Perl app has a lot of complexity-per-subroutine, often with object methods being called on things out-of-sight, so it's trickier to tell, just by looking, that it's correct.