[Melbourne-pm] Dancing around the event horizon

Toby Corkindale toby.corkindale at strategicdata.com.au
Wed Jun 3 19:44:48 PDT 2015

Apologies for broken quoting below; the work email system seems to suck in that regard.

There is a list of a hundred JVMs on wikipedia[1] but for ones actually worth looking at, I'd say they are:
The original - Oracle/OpenJDK 8. Oracle's version is based off OpenJDK these days, so is pretty similar on x64 architectures, but they seem to have a much better ARM implementation.
I haven't seen openjdk8 packages for major distros yet, but Oracle's has been around for a while so that's what I've been using.
You get both the regular hotspot, and also the "Zero" backend as part of openjdk. Zero being portable and a bit lighter.

Avian -- lightweight, efficient, generates small code.

Azul Zing -- designed for really heavyweight, memory-churning, latency-sensitive programs.

JamVM -- Another small and lean JVM. I think OpenJDK's Zero backend ended up being a bit better, but before Avian and Zero came along, this was the "light" jvm of choice.

You've heard of Dalvik, which is behind the Android OS, which is the JVM in everything but name. (I've written apps in Scala and then had them run on Android)
I don't think anyone really uses it on its own though.

1: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Java_virtual_machines