[Melbourne-pm] Dancing around the event horizon

Dean Hamstead dean at fragfest.com.au
Wed Jun 3 09:02:17 PDT 2015

Developing in java is, in my opinion, a huge liability.

Nothing to do with the language itself, just that you have to deal with
issues between openjdk, oracle and potentially ibm's java. If you pick
one, whatever version you are on will soon be out of date and broken in
new versions.

I also wouldnt associate the word "performance" with java. Sure, you can
write performant code (as you can in any language) - ive just not seen
it that often.

That Ruby isn't on the list is interesting.

Dean

On 2015-06-03 16:01, Kahlil Hodgson wrote:

> He he. The reasons are quite funny.
>
> Java because its faster and more memory efficient than interpreted languages like Perl.
> PHP because Facebook uses it and you can easily outsource development to India.
> .Net because, well, its obviously the industry standard.
> Python because its got all the data bindings you could possible want, and data is important -- BIG DATA -- right?
>
> I've opted for Python as the lesser of the various evils.

> Kahlil (Kal) Hodgson GPG: C9A02289
> Head of Technology (m) +61 (0) 4 2573 0382
> DealMax Pty Ltd GitHub: @tartansandal
>
> Suite 1416
> 401 Docklands Drive
> Docklands VIC 3008 Australia
>
> "All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that
> the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore,
> if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all
> means, do not use a hammer." -- IBM maintenance manual, 1925
>
> On 3 June 2015 at 15:49, Toby Corkindale <toby.corkindale at strategicdata.com.au> wrote:
>
>> So, what language or languages are approved of by investors?

Links:
------
[1] tel:%2B61%20%280%29%204%202573%200382
[2] http://mail.pm.org/mailman/listinfo/melbourne-pm