[Melbourne-pm] Perl Mongers in 2015...

Drew Taylor drew at drewtaylor.com
Wed Jan 7 15:30:16 PST 2015

On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 10:23 PM, Dean Hamstead <dean at fragfest.com.au> wrote:

>  I disagree that its legacy tech... just that other methods of page
> generation have proved more popular/robust.

I meant legacy in the sense that I wouldn't recommend starting a new
project using mod_perl. It works fine and will continue to be supported for
quite some time I imagine. At $work our apps run on mod_perl, though I've
toyed with the idea of using Plack::App::CGIBin [1] to switch to a
Plack-based app server for easier debugging and deployment.

> To quote mst on his world-famous-ish mstpan series...
>
> "Look. mod_perl was written as a means to write apache modules in perl.
> It's awesome at that. Seriously. You can do some truly batshit insane
> things that way and segfault a lot less than you would trying to do them in
> C... But... You don't want your application mashed into your web server.
> You really don't." http://shadow.cat/blog/matt-s-trout/mstpan-2/
>
> mod_perl is great to inserting custom functionality to random parts of the
> web server, like authentication or logging or something.
>
> I used to create apps integrating straight with mod_perl as handlers via
> Apache2::Request etc. They are great on memory but terrible to debug.

I haven't done any mod_perl development recently which uses any
functionality other than the request (?) phase. Recently as in at least a
decade.

Thanks,
Drew

[1] https://metacpan.org/pod/Plack::App::CGIBin