[Melbourne-pm] S3 modules

Mathew Robertson mathew.blair.robertson at gmail.com
Thu May 2 23:27:53 PDT 2013

> Ah, sorry, I don't think I remembered seeing your demo at the time I wrote
> my Retry module.

AFAICR, we had a side discussion on source-filters and why they are
sometimes the right solution...

>> http://search.cpan.org/~markf/**Attempt-1.01/lib/Attempt.pm<http://search.cpan.org/~markf/Attempt-1.01/lib/Attempt.pm>
>>
>> But alas you did create a less useful module:
>>
>> http://search.cpan.org/~tjc/**Retry-0.12/lib/Retry.pm<http://search.cpan.org/~tjc/Retry-0.12/lib/Retry.pm>
>>

> My module has exponential delays between retries and a different
> interface. Critically, it has a name that turns up in searches, unlike
> "Attempt" which sounds like yet another exception catching method.

But repeated nonetheless.

As an aside:

The main problem with your implementation was that your "on fail" and "on
last fail" scenarios dont lend themselves to doing *interesting* stuff
during the failures as it always expondentially backs-off... aka: this is
user-policy being enforced inside the module

And I always thought that the syntax of retry {} should emulate eval {}, as
it has the same semantics, but repeated.

cheers,
Mathew