[Melbourne-pm] working with Google Docs spreadsheets

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Tue Jul 23 03:48:18 PDT 2013

Hi Malcolm,

On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 12:01:53 +1000
Malcolm Herbert <melbourne-pm at mjch.net> wrote:

> Mongers - I've been given access to a Google Doc which a group I'm part
> of is using as a calendar. I'd like to be able to grab various fields
> from within this and create a proper iCal feed[1] ... is there a module
> similar to the existing Excel module that allows access to a Google Docs
> spreadsheet and pull values from it?

A quick metacpan.org search yields
https://metacpan.org/release/Net-Google-Spreadsheets (Also see:
https://metacpan.org/search?q=google%20spreadsheets ). No experience with it.

> Has anyone had any success/war stories of attempting this?

Well, it wasn't in Perl - it was in a previous workplace using Python for
processing a Google spreadsheet and it worked pretty well. Then, however,
Google broke the URLs to the Python spreadsheet module's online documentation
and it started referring to Java documentation or something like that, and a
bug that we filed about it remained stale. The code I had continued to work,
but it was harder for me to enhance it.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish