[Melbourne-pm] [OT] Seeking the 64-bit linux that's right for me

Robert Norris rob at eatenbyagrue.org
Tue Nov 6 12:18:55 PST 2012

On Tue, Nov 06, 2012 at 04:26:57PM +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> The reason why Debian and derivatives may not be as suitable for
> x86-64 is because I believe the x86-64 version does not allow you to
> easily install 32-bit i386 packages.

Installing i386 stuff on x86_64 Debian is serviceable on the current
stable release (6.0 "squeeze"), and utterly delightful under the next
release (7.0 "wheezy", due Real Soon Now[tm]). And by "delightful" I
mean you just point your package manager at the i386 package repository
and everything just works.

Not advocating for or against Debian for this particular application;
I'm just throwing out some info about this single feature.

Cheers,
Rob.