[Melbourne-pm] [OT] Seeking the 64-bit linux that's right for me

Toby Wintermute tjc at wintrmute.net
Tue Nov 6 05:26:48 PST 2012

If you're relatively unfamiliar with Linux, I think you would do well
to start with Ubuntu (Desktop edition) -- they do a good job of making
things easier to use; and once you're familiar with it, there are
loads of things you can tweak and improve too. Ubuntu tends to stay
quite up-to-date with the software they bundle; also it has a very
wide range of things available for it.

-T

On 7 November 2012 00:18, Sisyphus <sisyphus1 at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use mainly MS Windows - not that I understand that OS all that well, but I
> probably understand it better than I understand the linux systems.
>
> I have an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+ 2.40 GHz processor,
> with 1.00 GB of RAM, and a (new) 465 GB hard drive.
> It's currently running (more like "walking") Windows Vista64, but now that
> I've got hold of a new Windows 7 (x64) box, I'd like to stick a 64-bit linux
> distro on this older box.
>
> The requirements are pretty basic:
> 1) Be able to connect to the internet via my Satellite BroadBand account
> with Optus;
> 2) Be able to run an OpenSSH server (so that I have a server against which I
> can easily test my Windows builds of x64 and x86 Net::SSH2);
> 3) Supply (or provide the capability to build) gcc-4.7.0 or later, including
> g++ and gfortran;
> 4) Supply (or provide the capability to build) recent versions of perl,
> going back to (say) perl-5.8.8;
>
> I take an interest in PDL, so X11, Prima, gnuplot, and PLplot are also of
> siginificance as regards graphics capabilities. I would expect that all of
> these  are readily available on most versions of linux ... but please tell
> me if you happen to know that such expectation is unrealistic.
>
> Apart from that, I'm mainly just interested in checking on the modules that
> I maintain:
> http://search.cpan.org/~sisyphus/
>
> Any advice ? Have I left out stuff that has a bearing ?
>
> Cheers,
> Rob

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer
Things fall apart; the center cannot hold
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world