[Melbourne-pm] BeagleBone Perl library

Toby Corkindale toby.corkindale at strategicdata.com.au
Wed May 23 21:51:09 PDT 2012

On 23/05/12 12:45, Scott Penrose wrote:
> Excellent. We should merge. And I gave a domain. Perlbone

I went looking for your code a week or two ago and couldn't find your
library on github any more. Merging the codebases sounds sensible though.

Although I haven't been trying to clone the bonescript/arduino language,
so I have a more OO approach.

ie. the arduino-style way would be:

   setPin(13, DIGITAL);
   digitalWrite(13, HIGH);

and my Perlish way is:

   my $pin = BeagleBone::Pins->new('P9_13');
   $pin->digitalWrite(1);

(my code automatically sets the appropriate mode the first time you
call a read/write/etc function on the pin)

-Toby

> On 23/05/2012, at 12:26, Toby Corkindale<toby.corkindale at strategicdata.com.au>  wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I've been playing around with a BeagleBone for the past week, and I've come up with some initial Perl libraries to do GPIO and SPI, plus written some drivers to make it easy to talk to a certain LCD panel controller.
>>
>> I know Scott is working with the BB as well, and maybe others?
>> My code so far is at:
>> https://github.com/TJC/BeagleBone
>>
>> And a small blog post about the LCD controller is here:
>> http://blog.dryft.net/2012/05/ssd1306-lcd-controller-in-perl-for.html
>>

>> Unlike on the Arduino, Perl seems like a decent language to work with on the 'bone.. Although I did break out into Inline::C for one part when driving the spidev device, since it meant I could copy-and-paste the ioctls from example C code :)
>>

>> Cheers,
>> Toby

.signature