[Melbourne-pm] Monitoring Starman apps

Toby Corkindale toby.corkindale at strategicdata.com.au
Tue Mar 13 23:59:20 PDT 2012

Hi,
Starman, a Plack webserver, is configured to have a certain number of
worker children, which it forks. You may be familiar with the concept
from using Apache and configuring it to have a min/max of workers? Well,
on Starman it's fixed. (Which is probably better, as you're not going to
get into situations where the number of workers spirals out of control
due to lengthening request durations due to larger numbers of workers.)

Anyway.. I want to have some way to measure how many processes are
active at once, so I can tell when we're getting close to saturating the
current number of workers.

I could hack up a script that runs regularly, and counts the number of
established connections to port 8080 or whatever, but.. surely this kind
of thing has already been done?

Any words of wisdom from the crowd?

Cheers,
Toby