[Melbourne-pm] Beagle Bone Speed, PDL.

Kahlil Hodgson kahlil.hodgson at dealmax.com.au
Thu Jun 14 05:21:14 PDT 2012

Hey Scooter,

Thanks for your talk on on Wednesday.  Much fun.

Had a quick look at PDL on the tram this morning and it looks pretty
cool.  I'm quite keen to try this out for graphing financial data.

On 14/06/12 15:35, Tim Connors wrote:
> In debian, it's trivial to install.  apt-get install perldl.  In redhat,
> not so.  Half of the installation bugs in the bugtracker are mine, and in
> the end I just ended up not installing it since the visiting astronomer in
> question was KGB, and he started bringing his own laptop because of us
> tardy sysadmins.

Installs perfectly on Fedora 17

	yum install perl-PDL

Bang! Get the full kit, so its probably possible on RHEL.

Did a quick try on CentOS 6. Yup, fine. Did a quick try on CentOS 5 and
got various dependency errors.  Looks like there are only 3 packages
with genuine issues:

     libXft-2.1.10-1.1.x86_64 from base
     libXrender-0.9.1-3.1.x86_64 from base
     perl-Tk-804.029-1.el5.rf.x86_64 from rpmforge

The perl-PDL package seems to be coming from RPMForge so a gather its a
partial back port.  I'd be talking to those guys to get it fixed, though
it may not be technically feasible: libXft and libXrender are probably
required by a lot of other packages and upgrading them to the required
versions may break too many other parts of the system.  May be _easier_
to move to RHEL6 than to try to solve a very complicated dependency
problem at that the RHEL5 level.

By the way, as I learned recently from a conversation with a MPM member
and subsequence investigations, the redhat bug tracker is not really
being tracked by redhat any more. If you want redhat response you have
to use the official support channel. If you are using CentOS, just email
the CentOS list: there are people there with full RHEL subscriptions
that are more than willing to raise the issue on your behalf.

Happy Hacking!

Kal

--
Kahlil (Kal) Hodgson                       GPG: C9A02289
Head of Technology                         (m) +61 (0) 4 2573 0382

Suite 1415
401 Docklands Drive
Docklands VIC 3008 Australia

"All parts should go together without forcing.  You must remember that
the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you.  Therefore,
if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason.  By all
means, do not use a hammer."  -- IBM maintenance manual, 1925