[Melbourne-pm] Looking for a Perl consult... problem with sessions

Rick Giner rickginer at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 18:59:45 PST 2012

I wonder if anyone can help. This may only take a short time to debug
for someone in the know. More than happy to compensate for any time
spent on it...

It's been a long while since I have worked with Perl, I am in a Ruby
role right now but we have an old (12 year old) Perl website that
stopped working after the server rebooted. The shopping cart did, anyway.

It seems to be trying to read session information relating to the
shopping cart, the error showing up in the log is a "Could not open file
'/var/lock/session/Apache-Session-blah.lock' for writing: No such file
or directory at /usr/share/perl/5.8/CGI/Carp.pm line 314". The /session/
folder it refers to doesn't actually exist, though even after I created
it the error persists and no session files are being written.

If anyone has any time to help, we would greatly appreciate it and can
arrange for a console into the server and much beer + cash prizes for
anyone that helps solve our problem!

Many thanks,

Rick Giner
0416 500 924