[Melbourne-pm] Three Projects

Scott Penrose scottp at dd.com.au
Thu Apr 12 19:39:36 PDT 2012

On 13/04/2012, at 12:19 PM, Brad Bowman wrote:
> I've done some PDL:
>
> http://bereft.net/neuro/som/
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ecSO4fwP_o
>
> Don't most of these higher level numerics languages just end up
> wrapping C or Fortran anyway?

Lots do. And of course even newer things like Julia allow you to call Fortran.

> Julia looks like it uses Intel MKL
> which would be most of the benchmark difference, is that a reasonable
> presumption?

It can use intel MKL, as can Matlab etc. But it isn't in their examples.

> The benchmarks don't look too tricky, if you get them to
> agree to host the results, I'll have a go at writing the code
> and keep the list posted.

Excellent. Mainly I wanted to see how the code looks. If it performs slower than even the Python code that is ok as long as, for me, it is easy to code, easy to read. And if it performs well that is good too :-)

Scott