[Melbourne-pm] Meeting - Tomorrow night, Wednesday the 11th of April 2012

Adam Clarke adam.clarke at strategicdata.com.au
Tue Apr 10 17:55:31 PDT 2012

On 10/04/2012, at 5:36 PM, Toby Corkindale wrote:

> On 10/04/12 16:09, Malcolm Herbert wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 08:17:43AM +1000, Alfie John wrote:
>> |Just a friendly reminder that Melbourne Perl Mongers is tomorrow night,
>> |on Wednesday the 11th of April, 2012 and will start around 6:30pm:
>>
>> I'm yet to turn up to a meeting (hoping to make it this week) but would
>> love a talk on how to make a portable app that can be deployed on
>> multiple POSIX-like hosts without needing admin access.
>>
>> ie, no ability to install modules from the native package manager or
>> online access to CPAN - looking to be able to deliver a single tarball
>> containing everything required to run as a non-privileged user straight
>> away when dropped into an arbitrary directory they have write access to
>> (presumably an application home directory)
>>
>> I did ask about this (and received a response) but wasn't able to
>> capitalise on it at the time ... a presentation on it would be good if
>> anyone has something on the topic ...
>

> I'm not sure I'm up to date on that state of affairs..
>
> As far as I am aware, most people have moved to one of two solutions.
> 1) Package things up for the system's native packages, ie. .deb, rpm, etc.
> This is annoying because you have to maintain several build systems though. (eg. debian/redhat/centos/ubuntu/solaris/freebsd/openbsd multiplied by i386/sparc/amd64/arm32/arm64 multiplied by say three different releases of each operating system is 105 different systems to build upon!)
>

> 2) Build a custom Perl in a local directory and then install all required modules into it as well. Then you can tar up the entire lot to ship it around to other systems, as long as they're fairly similar.
> But it won't work between wildly different releases of operating systems, let along entirely different platforms.
> (eg. Perl XS modules compiled on Ubuntu Server 11.10 64bit aren't going to work on freebsd on i386)
>

> 3)
> There was a third option, PAR -- which takes perl, your module, and all the dependencies, and all their dependencies, and all the C shared libraries referenced, and zips them all up into a huge archive, with a small bit of code at the top to extract and run it.
>
> The problem being that it's actually seriously hard to automatically determine all the CPAN modules in use, due to Perl's inconsistent ways of loading them randomly, all over the place.

Best Practical, creators of Request Tracker produced Shipwright http://search.cpan.org/~sunnavy/Shipwright-2.4.31/lib/Shipwright.pm.

We haven't used it but it claims to solve the same problem. From the above link ...

"Shipwright is a tool to help you bundle your software with all its dependencies, regardless of whether they are CPAN modules or non-Perl modules from elsewhere. Shipwright makes the bundle work easy."

Cheers