[Melbourne-pm] SystemTap and Perl

Toby Corkindale toby.corkindale at strategicdata.com.au
Tue Mar 15 19:47:31 PDT 2011

On 11/03/11 10:55, Cosimo Streppone wrote:
> 2011/3/10 Toby Corkindale<toby.corkindale at strategicdata.com.au>:
>
>> Details on the Perl profiling via SystemTap:
>> http://blog.dryft.net/2011/03/profiling-perl-with-systemtap-on-linux.html
>
> Thanks guys for the great meetup!
>
> I enjoyed it a lot, the technical (lightning) talks
> and even more than that the "war stories" talk at the pub :)

I'm glad you could make it :)

> I haven't got all your names yet.
> I hope to make it for the next month meeting too.
>
> I could put together some slides.
> When I have time, I write about what I do here:
>
>    http://my.opera.com/cstrep/blog/

*reads blog*
Hah, I filed that bug on Class::XSAccessor which you mention hitting..
BTW, as I recall, the "fix" leads to a memory leak, but only during the
end of your application - so as long as you're never exiting, or never
in a long-running Perl interpreter, you don't notice it.
But mod_perl was the example that might get affected; I never looked
into it further though.

> If you want, have a look, and tell me if there's something that's
> interesting to you.
> I'd be glad to share. I'm not a very good at presenting, though :)
> You have been warned.

I'd be interested in talks on:
* Varnish and VCL
* geographic DNS and what you can do with it;
* Your experiences with Plack, perhaps something about how to scale it up?

Thanks,
Toby