[Melbourne-pm] New module: Number::Phone::AU

Josh Heumann melbourne.pm at joshheumann.com
Thu Jan 6 18:55:53 PST 2011

Howdy, Australian Perlmongers.  After poking around on CPAN, I realised
that there were no modules to validate Australian phone numbers.  So now
there is!

Introducing Number::Phone::AU:
http://search.cpan.org/~heumann/Number-Phone-AU-0.02/lib/Number/Phone/AU.pm

Keep in mind that this doesn't validate all Australian phone numbers;
that would be insanity[1].

What it /does/ do is check to see if the number looks generally like a
valid Australian phone number.  This is to sanitise user-entered contact
numbers, which I'm guessing is the largest use-case.

It's probably rife with bugs.  Patches are, of course, welcome :)

PS. I'm not on the mailing list for any other Australian Perlmonger
groups, so feel free to forward this around if you are.

[1] for a little taste of that insanity, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_numbers_in_Australia