[Melbourne-pm] caching CPAN dist files

David Dick ddick at iinet.net.au
Mon Apr 25 14:34:12 PDT 2011

On 25/04/11 23:49, Mathew Robertson wrote:
>     In my case, there is a hand-built list of all those dependencies in
>     the Debian package (for things like postgresql-client, mysql-client,
>     libssl, libgd, libjpeg, libpng, etc etc).
>
> None of these make much sense with depending on the OS-specific
> versions... you should instead be relying on the equivalent Perl/CPAN
> module, ie: DBD::mysql, DBD::Pg, GD::Simple, etc.

I'm not quite sure what you mean.  When you build DBD::mysql, (or
DBD::Pg, GD, etc) you create a file auto/DBD/mysql/mysql.so (or
auto/DBD/Pg/Pg.so, auto/GD/GD.so) which is dynamically linked to
libmysqlclient.so (or libpq.so, libgd.so, etc)

So the auto/DBD/mysql/mysql.so (or whatever) file goes into your package
to be deployed into (for example) /opt/$company/$product/lib/, but you
need to ensure that when the package is deployed to production/whatever,
that libmysqlclient.so (or whatever) actually exists on the filesystem
(for example in /usr/lib) for your library to link to. Hence, the
dependency tracking comes in handy.