[Melbourne-pm] The magic of shebang (was Re: programming tutorials: Perl)

Alec Clews alecclews at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 22:09:33 PST 2010

On Mon, 2010-11-15 at 16:48 +1100, john thornton wrote:

> Thanks very much for that. I went to the site and downloaded the perl
> training book. Perldocs...so many.
>
> The only part that confuses me is that if
>
> # is a comment
>
> then why does the shebang line have any influence:
>
> #!/usr/bin/perl
>
> or as a variant to show warnings for code
>
> #!/usr/bin/perl -w
>
> I am using to using # to "comment out" configuration files in Linux
> for setting up mysql and so on.

the shebang notation (#!) is specific to UNIX (and hence Linux)

The #! is actually interpreted by the kernel and tells it which
interpreter to use (in this case Perl)

Perl ignores the line[1]

See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shebang_(Unix)

[1] That was a lie. As a special case Perl will look at the line and use
any flags it sees. e.g.

#!/bin/env perl -p

will switch on the pseudo sed mode

--