[Melbourne-pm] Closures and scope warnings

Toby Corkindale toby.corkindale at strategicdata.com.au
Wed Jul 28 22:11:16 PDT 2010

On 29/07/10 14:43, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> Toby Corkindale<toby.corkindale at strategicdata.com.au>  writes:
>
> [...]
>
>> That's the "best practice" way to do transactions, I believe, but it does use
>> a closure in a way that it wasn't really intended, I think?
>
> I have no opinion on the wider discussion, but damn, what are they teaching in
> those schools these days?

Search me, when I was at school they were still teaching ADA83 and
COBOL! (I might even have the textbooks gathering dust in an attic
somewhere)
I don't think either language supported Closures?

> This is exactly what closures are for, up and up. :)

Hurrah! Good to know then :)

They do strange things to my understanding and concepts of scoping
though. Imagine if you called a recursive function, passing a closure
around! Mmm, tastes obfuscatory! :)
(But yeah, anything can be abused)

In totally unrelated news:
http://steve-yegge.blogspot.com/2010/07/wikileaks-to-leak-5000-open-source-java.html