[Melbourne-pm] Can Dependant modules be configured by Perl Version

Paul Fenwick pjf at perltraining.com.au
Tue Sep 29 19:46:39 PDT 2009

G'day Andrew,

Andrew Dent wrote:

> But when installing IO::Interactive on 5.8.6 (HPUX 10.20) the install
> fails with
> #      Error: Can't locate version.pm in @INC
>
> Is this a bug in IO::Interactive (that version.pm isn't considered a
> dependancy) or a "feature" in Perl that a module's declared dependancies
> cannot be Perl version specific?

Sounds like a bug to me.  The module isn't correctly specifying all its
dependencies.

For what it's worth, it's quite possible to have platform and version based
dependencies, although expressing that in the meta-info (eg, META.yml)
isn't.  As an example, IPC::System::Simple has extra dependencies when
running under Windows.

Cheerio,

	Paul

--