[Melbourne-pm] CPAN Install

Toby Corkindale toby.corkindale at strategicdata.com.au
Thu Oct 29 22:01:00 PDT 2009

Gerd Berner wrote:
> Hello all
>
> It seems I have broken my CPAN shell and I'm struggling to find a way to
> fix it, so any help would be appreciated!
>
> This machine is windows 2003 running ActivePerl-5.10.1.1006.  This was
> installed using the MSI installer, which comes with a built in 'Repair'
> function.  I assume that this function would perform a checksum
> comparison and fix any broken files? Ran it with crossed fingers - did
> not fix the problem.  I tested a couple of different module installs and
> they all fail with a similar message.
>
> when I try to 'reload index'  I also get the same error but also
> warnings that my 02packages.details.txt.gz does not contain a Line-Count
> header or a Last-Updated header (which cant be a good thing!).  When I
> looked at this archive it was unreadable, so I replaced both it and
> 03modlist.data.gz with fresh copies from CPAN, but still the same error
> results when I try to install Net::SCP.
>
> Short of re-installing Perl, I'm not sure what else to do or why the
> CPAN shell became unstable in the first place.  I have tended to use
> both PPM and CPAN on the same Perl install, but I wouldnt have thought
> that would be the cause.

This is a rather blunt approach to fixing it, but..
Go into C:\Perl\cpan\
and delete the entire "build" and "authors" directories.

Erm, wait, I think I'm thinking of CPANPLUS.. but give it a try with
cpan too; I reckon I've seen a bug crop up with a partially-downloaded
file causing one of cpan's subsiduary modules to crap out.

Or failing that.. have you tried using CPANPLUS?
(run cpanp from the command line)

Toby