[Melbourne-pm] Google Wave Anyone?

Timothy S. Nelson wayland at wayland.id.au
Wed Oct 28 20:51:34 PDT 2009

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009, Toby Wintermute wrote:

> In other news; I'm liking Moose a lot, especially since the .9 release
> with all the built-in attributes and corresponding traits.. but I'm
> curious to know what everyone else thinks of Moose.
> It's evidently superior to Perl's existing OO framework, which has
> been showing it's age and tacked-on-afterwards feel for a long time..
> but on the other hand, Moose involves learning a quite different
> syntax, and in some ways you're barely working in Perl.. and if you
> wanted to learn whole new syntax, you could have learnt Ruby or Jython
> or NOOP instead.

 	From what I'm told, Moose is much more like Perl 6 than the old stuff.
Disclaimer: you'll find my name on some of the Perl 6 documents (mostly I
reorganised stuff that was already there).  Think of Moose as a way of getting
a head start on Perl 6 :), keeping in mind that Rakudo Star comes out in
April.

> However, Moose does really appreciate a Perl 5.10.x running it; it'll
> work fine on 5.8.x but you get a measureable performance hit. (But
> hey, when even Debian is packaging perl 5.10, you *know* you're behind
> the times if you're still on 5.8, right?)

 	CentOS version 5.3 has Perl 5.8.

 	:)

| Name: Tim Nelson                 | Because the Creator is,        |
| E-mail: wayland at wayland.id.au    | I am                           |