[Melbourne-pm] OT[sort of] plain hashing text passwords

John Thornton jdthornton at ozemail.com.au
Wed Oct 7 20:05:22 PDT 2009

                 Hello
                         Yesterday I succeeded in getting Ruby on Rails
working with mysql to get a localhost website for web development. There is
only one thing that befuddles me: when I edited the .yml database file with
netbeans it said that I should do a plain text hash of the mysql/.yml
databse password. That is double dutch to me. I've tried Google. But it is
one of those questions where you don't know what to google. The next
generation of intelligent heuristic browsers will be good in such a case.
Anyway, ruby on rail forums haven't proven to be any use.

                         So, does anyone here know how to
hash/encrypt/disguise passwords that are in plain text, as the password is
on my computer in the .yml file.

                        John