[Melbourne-pm] Modern Forum software?

Peter Lawrence pml540114 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 06:05:55 PST 2009

On 08/11/2009, Tim Hogard <thogard at abnormal.com> wrote:
.
> Also is there anything that doesn't require a SQL database?  If the
> average post is about 500 characters and the minimum size for a
> database is about 20 meg of memory, I figure you need about 40,000
> messages before the database is faster than flat files.

As I recall, there is a Perl module out there that puts an SQL wrapper
around flat files. Why not track that down and use it to start with,
so you can upgrade to a "proper" database more easily as, when and if
the time comes? Or, for intermediate functionality and size, there is
a similar wrapper for the xbase file format. P.M.Lawrence.