[Melbourne-pm] Knockd for Web

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Mon Jun 1 22:30:43 PDT 2009

Sam Watkins <sam at nipl.net> writes:
> On Tue, Jun 02, 2009 at 02:34:08PM +1000, Daniel Pittman wrote:
>> I agree with Toby: to assert the risks of .desktop files you need to
>> prove that there is a risk.
>
> hey, linux noob / someone's grandma using ubuntu...
> try this new version of firefox it's such a small download!

I think we have well and truly left the realms of the question Scott asked for
a more general debate on security vs accessibility.

I grant you this: your attack here works, in so far as any system is
vulnerable to social engineering attacks, and this is a social engineering
attack.

Beyond that, I don't think this is the forum to debate the issue.[1]

Regards,
        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  ...in fact, I mistook which list I was on when I raised that specific
     point in the first place. :)