[Melbourne-pm] Upcoming meeting dates and talks! (Next meeting: 14th Jan)

Paul Fenwick pjf at perltraining.com.au
Sun Jan 4 21:17:04 PST 2009

G'day MPM,

Welcome to 2009.  This year I'm hoping to have speakers and meetings
organised well in advance.  If you want to give a presentation, help
organise a meeting, or hunt down new speakers, then let me (and preferably
the list) know!

Unless there are any objections, I'll be giving a sneak preview of my talk
for Linux.conf.au at our first meeting.  This is a full 40 minute talk:

	When:	Wednesday, 14th January, 6:30pm

	Where:	Remasys Pty Ltd
		Level 1
		180 Flinders St
		MELBOURNE VIC 3121

	Talk:	Awesome things you've missed in Perl!  (Paul Fenwick)
		(Full abstract at end of e-mail)

I also had plans to give my "Art of Klingon Programming" talk at the second
MPM meeting, but Linux Users Victoria (LUV) asked very nicely if they could
see it to.  As such, our second meeting for the year is combined with LUV:

	When:	Tuesday, 3rd February

	Where:	Buzzard Theatre
		Even Burge Building
		Trinity College
		Parkville VIC

	Map:	http://luv.asn.au/meetings/map

	Talk:	The Art of Klingon Programming (Paul Fenwick)
		Abstract at: http://wiki.osdcsydney.info/program/talk63

All the very best,

	Paul

---begin abstract---

Awesome things have been happening in Perl recently; so many that even if
you've been paying close attention, you may have missed a few. In this talk
we'll examine some of the coolest recent technologies for Perl programmers,
including:

* Overhauling Perl's Object Oriented framework with Moose.

* Flexible, rapid, and painless web development with Catalyst.

* Making everything a first-class object with autobox.

* Slashing your error handling code with autodie.

* Building fast, readable and reusable regular expressions with Perl 5.10.

* Bundling and building stand-alone applications using PAR, the
  Perl Archiver.

* Astonishingly good profiling with Devel::NYTProf.

* Playing MineSweeper automatically with App::SweeperBot.

Knowledge of Perl is nice, but not essential to appreciate the contents of
this talk.

---end abstract---

--
Paul Fenwick <pjf at perltraining.com.au> | http://perltraining.com.au/