[Melbourne-pm] Upcoming meeting dates and talks! (Next meeting: 11th March)

Jacinta Richardson jarich at perltraining.com.au
Thu Feb 5 17:50:14 PST 2009

G'day folk,

Apparently I used the wrong list when declaring the next meeting topic (sorry
Alec!) so here's an updated reminder:

* March 11th:   Perl scripting in Golly 2.0 (Tony)
                + your talk goes here

* April 8th:    An introduction to git and github.com (Alec, with OSDClub)

* May  13th:    MVCs in Perl: Too many ways to do it (Jacinta)
                + your talk goes here

I'm not sure how long Tony's talk will go, but if you have a 20-30 minute talk
you're eager to give; I'm sure that we can accommodate it in March.  Likewise my
MVCs in Perl talk is currently only 20 minutes, so I'd love to schedule a second
talk for that meeting too so please volunteer.

I know that it could be sensible to put my talk with Tony's in March but at this
stage I *might* be in Sydney that week :(  so best not.

Don't forget OSDClub next week (Thursday 12th February), Hitwise, 580 St Kilda
Road, Melbourne * Twitter and the Social Web by Alec Clews *

For anyone who's interested, I'll be speaking at the OSIA meeting on the 26th
February on the following:

        Running an open source training business

        Starting a business is easy. Starting a *successful* business is
        only a little bit harder. But how do you keep an open source
        training business going and making money when the shine has worn
        off and it's now just hard work?

        This talk will discuss what it takes to run a successful, small,
        totally independent, open source training business. It will cover
        considerations like costs, pricing, deal with clients, vendors and
        your competition, the good and bad of running a training company,
        managing staff who'd prefer to be constantly partying, and
        advertising to a wide variety of open source user groups without
        making enemies.

        There are also the joys (and pains) of creating training materials,
        scheduling courses, running training and balancing the books. Tips
        will be given on how to make training fun, so that your attendees
        consistently give you high overall ratings; and how to teach the
        same week-long course twice a month for 6 months running and not
        get bored.

        Finally you'll see how community involvement is essential for
        micro-businesses like this to survive.

	Venue: Innovation @ 257 Level One, Emirates House, 257 Collins Street,
	       Melbourne CBD
	Time:  Arrive from 7pm for a 7:15pm start Presentation
	Topic: "Building a Business Value Demo" by Alec Clews of Voga Consulting
	Cost:  Free! including complimentary tea and coffee on arrival.

See you around soon!

All the best,

   ("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._          |  Jacinta Richardson         |
    `6_ 6  )   `-.  (     ).`-.__.`)  |  Perl Training Australia    |
  _..`--'_..-_/  /--'_.' ,'           | contact at perltraining.com.au |
 (il),-''  (li),'  ((!.-'             |   www.perltraining.com.au   |