[Melbourne-pm] (paid) Assistance required for Google calendar hack

Stephen Edmonds melbourne-pm at popcorn.cx
Mon Aug 17 16:34:40 PDT 2009

Toby Wintermute wrote:
> 2009/8/17 Nathan Bailey <Nathan.Bailey at its.monash.edu>:
>> As for push vs. pull - I need push because Google can't see my "server" to
>> subscribe. FWIW, this is a path to publishing a calendar onto the iPhone
>> that I want to run on a colleague's Windows PC (but that I will also happily
>> run myself if/when I can get it working :-)
>
> How about a script that just syncs the .ics file from his Windows PC
> then, to some other machine that *is* accessible?
>
> The simple approach is often the most reliable. Laziness is a virtue :)

I agree with Toby, keep it simple.  In fact why get Google involved at all?

To keep an eye on eBay items I have a script that generates an ics file
on my home linux box.  I then subscribed to it directly on my iPhone and
it works quite nicely.  The phone it set to fetch data every 15 minutes,
the Apache logs show requests 15-20 minutes apart which is timely enough
for my needs. [1]

If I didn't have a publicly available web server at home, it would have
been trivial to add a SCP to the end of the script.

Thanks,

Stephen

[1] The eBay script only runs once an hour so 15 minutes is overkill,
but as the update setting is global, 15 minutes is what I want for mail
and other calendars.