[Melbourne-pm] (paid) Assistance required for Google calendar hack

Andrew Stuart andrew.stuart at flatraterecruitment.com.au
Thu Aug 13 18:54:32 PDT 2009

That'll be $1,000 plus GST paid to Toby thanks!

http://tsdg.typepad.com/restaurants/2009/07/picassos-napkin.html

The story goes that Picasso was sitting in a Paris café when an
admirer approached and asked if he would do a quick sketch on a paper
napkin. Picasso politely agreed, swiftly executed the work, and handed
back the napkin — but not before asking for a rather significant
amount of money.  The admirer was shocked: “How can you ask for so
much? It took you a minute to draw this!” “No”, Picasso replied, “It
took me 40 years”

On 14/08/2009, at 11:20 AM, Toby Corkindale wrote:

Nathan Bailey wrote:
> I have a quick job that I think would take an experienced coder less
> than a couple of days to do (but I am a notorious optimist :-)
> I want to be able to take an .ics file and push it into Google
> calendar. I *don't* need synchronisation, I'm happy with
> obliteration (ie. the new data can completely overwrite the old).

cp calendar.ics ~username/public_html/

Go to Google Calandar, and select "Add calendar" and then "Add by URL"
Enter: http://your.host.net/~username/calendar.ics

Whenever you update calendar.ics, google calendar should automatically
pick up the changes after a while. (Unsure what the sync interval is,
but seems quick enough for me)

Authentication comes in the form of "security by obscurity"
unfortunately.. Generate a random UUID via uuidgen (or just run: echo
`ps auxw`|md5sum) and then rename your calendar to it, ie:
mv calendar.ics b0cb8ec0-cdeb-4426-a2de-ebd5bed06ee9.ics
(and use that as the URL for google calendar)

I'm afraid this method doesn't involve Perl though!

-Toby

https://login.mailguard.com.au/report/1y46g00fJm/3IXlpTHB8ecmLWF2E8WpHx/0.6