[Melbourne-pm] thanks to all

Timothy S. Nelson wayland at wayland.id.au
Fri Sep 19 23:54:42 PDT 2008

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008, John Thornton wrote:

> Objectively Perl is probably a simpler language to learn than Java. But I
> am starting to get my mind around the classes of Java, its brackets etc, in
> a way that never happened with Perl.
>
> Perl seems to be a bit of an anarchic language to me - let's break the
> rules. But as a beginner I really need rules.

 	John, I think you've made the right decision.  I hate using Java, but
I think it's a good idea at your stage.  But there's something I hope you will
remember; nearly every programming language has a way of doing things.  If you
don't get that way of doing things in your head (which you obviously are
managing in Java) then you spend a lot of time fighting the language.  But
sometimes the way the language wants to do things is not the best way of
achieving the task.  That's why sometimes a FORTRAN programmer (FORTRAN is
noted for its speed) will not come up with as quick a solution as an APL
programmer (APL makes sorting easy).  I'd say that learning Java is the right
choice for you at the moment, as it will give you the hang of two basic
paradigms; Object-oriented, and Procedural.  But I think that once you have
the hang of those, it would be a good idea to try a Functional language, after
reading http://www.paulgraham.com/diff.html (which is about why Lisp is great
:) ).

 	Then, after you have the hang of a number of these paradigms, and you
have the rules of good programming in each embedded in your mind, *then* give
Perl a try.

 	I use Perl not because it has no rules, but because I have a pretty
good idea of what rules I think are good, and which ones I think are bad, and
Perl is the only language I know where I can use most of the rules I think are
good; other languages prevent me from doing this.

 	:)

| Name: Tim Nelson                 | Because the Creator is,        |
| E-mail: wayland at wayland.id.au    | I am                           |