[Melbourne-pm] thanks to all

Sisyphus sisyphus1 at optusnet.com.au
Thu Sep 18 02:57:59 PDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jacinta Richardson" <jarich at perltraining.com.au>
To: "Sisyphus" <sisyphus1 at optusnet.com.au>
Cc: <melbourne-pm at pm.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2008 7:14 PM
Subject: Re: [Melbourne-pm] thanks to all

> Sisyphus wrote:
>
>>> I don't like that shebang line at all.
>>
>> The shebang line is not necessary - feel free to remove it. You don't
>> need a shebang line to run perl programs on any platform that I'm aware
>> of.
>
> Ah.  How are you running Perl?
.
.
> Sure you can call it indirectly (perl hello.pl)

Yep - that's what I was envisaging. I wasn't recommending it - just pointing
out that, if you don't like the shebang line, you can remove it. It does put
an extra burden on the caller (as you pointed out) - but it can be done.

I do actually run my perl scripts that way (ie no shebang line) on my linux
box at home - and it suits me fine.
Mostly when I run perl on my linux box I'm running 'perl Makefile.PL' to
check how some module-or-other builds. The shebang line in the Makefile.PL
(even if it exists) is generally not what I want anyway.

>  If you've ever had to try to convince Windows that
> MYOB data files (.pls) aren't WinAmp playlist files (also .pls) or
> anything
> similar; you'd probably appreciate shebang lines more.

Either that, or appreciate Windows file associations less :-)

I haven't had to do that, btw. (I don't have any MYOB data files ... I don't
think I've even got WinAmp.) But it *is* just a matter of changing the pls
file association, isn't it ? Or are there some deeper "registry"
ramifications ?

Cheers,
Rob