[Melbourne-pm] Amazon S3

Bradley Dean bjdean at bjdean.id.au
Wed May 14 04:54:32 PDT 2008

Greetings,

On Fri, May 02, 2008 at 12:35:33PM +1000, Guy Morton wrote:
> Hello perlers
>
> Anyone here had experience using perl and Amazon::S3 to do mysql database
> backups to S3?
>
> I've tried this guy's script as a way to get started, but it no workee:
>
> http://dparrish.com/2008/02/mysql-backup-to-amazon-s3/
>
> It seems to die on the add_bucket command - fails with a file not found
> error...which I don't really understand.

Amazon S3 has fairly restrictive rules on bucket names (including that they
cannot contain upper-case letters). That script tries to create a bucket
called:

 $aws_access_key_id. '-mysql-$hostname'

An access key usually has uppercase characters so this won't work -
incidentally there's not much point naming a bucket with the access key
given that the bucket will be created inside the account defined by that
access key. It's also part of the account credentials so logs containing
the name of buckets will now have half of your login.

Try changing the bucket name to lc('mysql-' . hostname()) and see if that
helps.

Here's the bucket naming restriction docs:

 http://docs.amazonwebservices.com/AmazonS3/2006-03-01/BucketRestrictions.html

Cheerio,

 Brad