[Melbourne-pm] Who's using Perl 5.10?

Scott Penrose scottp at dd.com.au
Thu Jun 12 20:40:45 PDT 2008

Personal Machines - 5.8.8
Personal production machines - 5.8.8
3rd party production machines - 5.6 in some cases, but a lot of 5.8.4

I would not run 5.10 though. Two reasons: Not available on my production machines; too hard to manually install on my laptop.

I have gone from building my own machines (e.g. Gentoo and similar) to being completely lazy on that front. The problem is that if you have two versions on a system, one from the package system and another from another install it causes major confusion on the perl module front. On one machine things worked if I typed "perl blah.pl" but if I used "./blah.pl" it did not (turns out that my default path was not the same as /usr/bin/perl).

This is a problem, I would like to see perl progress, but the reality of systems I use is that manual installs on Debian or Mac OS X of Perl generally break things. This is not just Perl, I had the same problem the other day with Python for using the new version of Trac, had to give up, and with PHP4 and PHP5 on the same machine. Tricky.

Scott