[Melbourne-pm] Australia's garbage computer training offerings

Alfie John alfiejohn at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 21:28:02 PST 2008

Hi John,

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 3:35 PM, John Thornton <jdthornton at ozemail.com.au>wrote:

>                  Hello
>
>                         I have scoured the earth looking for any Australian
> computer trainers that can meet my needs. I am a maths graduate who's
> starting programming as a beginner. I have messed about with python, java
> and perl.
>

>                        Cost is not a real issue. I am prepared to pay for a
> good course taught by people who know their stuff. More important is to do a
> course online that covers the specifics of programming: OOP, applets etc.
> The language also isn't that important. I would even be prepared to give
> Perl another go in spite of my expressed distaste for it on this list! The
> learning style matters – those 5 day intensive things are no good for me.
> Rather, I prefer a course that is spread out over time.

Is taking a course that important to you? Why not just bunker down with a
good book or two. If you are just starting out programming, I suggest not
looking at Perl. Once again, Perl is not suited as an introduction to
programming. Perl is like a fine V.S.O.P. If it's your first ever swig of
alcohol, you're going to be put off very quickly. Ease yourself into it with
alcopops like Python and Pascal and don't forget to stay away from the cheap
casks like Java.

If you are looking for specifics such as Applets, I think Java and Flash are
your only options. However you might want to try Python since it was
developed specifically to teach people how to program. I've found "Learning
Python" by Mark Lutz to be a good intro.

Forget about the specifics for now e.g. OOP and Applets. Stick with learning
general programming. There is no point learning the intricacies of
multiplexed IO if you don't even know what a byte is yet. It will take time
but if you stick at it, you should start seeing progress soon.

Alfie