[Melbourne-pm] perl, CGI and php questions

Ben Hare benhare at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 21:43:07 PDT 2008

On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 8:06 PM, John Thornton
<jdthornton at ozemail.com.au> wrote:

>       [1] No disrespect to perl, but why are jobsites like SEEK dominated
> by jobs in php programming in web programming?

There's many reasons but to keep a long story short, Australia is just
a small place in terms of jobs in IT. In the UK or US, Perl is in high
demand, has been for years and there are Perl jobs advertised every
day.

Another reason is people using Perl here generally won't advertise on
seek: see jobs.perl.org.

>       [2] If I make a correct script in another language, php, Java etc, do
> I save it to the same cgi-bin that worked for perl? That is, assuming that
> again it is intended for browser formatting.

yes and no. it's 'what scott said' :) but in the 2 languages you
mentioned you generally wouldn't.

Ben.