[Melbourne-pm] interesting apache outcome

Ian Macdonald ickphum at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 00:54:28 PDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 5:49 PM, John Thornton <jdthornton at ozemail.com.au>wrote:

> Hmm..
>
>    I did as you suggested and got:
>
>     Object not found!
>
> The requested URL was not found on this server. If you entered the URL
> manually please check your spelling and try again.
>
> If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.
> Error 404
> localhost
> 08/21/08 17:44:37
> Apache/2.2.9 (Win32) DAV/2 mod_ssl/2.2.9 OpenSSL/0.9.8h mod_autoindex_color
> PHP/5.2.6
>
> ***************
> So I don't know. It seems to me that there is one difference between the
> files that have succeeded as CGI browser formats in the explore CGI box:
>
> the successful ones are listed as CGI files whereas the ones I tried such
> as
> hello.cgi are still listed as text documents.
>
> Thanks anyway
> Any more suggestions and I will try them out.
>
> John

That sounds interesting; what editor are you using to create the files? It
sounds like it might be Notepad or something else that likes to silently add
.txt to all file names.

In the explorer window, go to the Tools menu and choose Folder Options. Now
select the View tab and find "Hide extensions for known file types" and make
sure this is not ticked. Click Apply, Ok, refresh the window and see if some
of the files now display as name.cgi.txt. If so, remove the ".txt" part and
try again.

--
Ian Macdonald